Faruk Durusu heads the legal practice of the Firm. Faruk has been practicing in Luxembourg for over 16 years. His main areas of practice includes cross-border M&A and corporate restructuring for private equity houses and institutional investors. He led significant international restructuring projects for a number of Fortune 500 Companies active in the finance, IT/CT, energy and life sciences industries. Faruk’s expertise also extends to commercial and value recovery litigation.
Before joining Praxio Tax & Legal, Faruk worked for one of the main law firm in Luxembourg being part of the Landwell & Associés network (currently renamed PwC Societé d’Avocats). He then founded the Luxembourg office of a boutique international law firm specialized in corporate tax matters for multinational corporations and headed the Luxembourg legal practice of that firm for almost 10 years.
Faruk graduated in law at the University of Strasbourg and in parallel obtained a certificate in European business law at the University of Strasbourg, France (2001). He also holds a law degree (LLB) in common law at the University of Leicester, UK (2002) and an LLM from the University of Nancy II, France (2003) in European Business Law.
Faruk is a registered lawyer (avocat à la Cour) with the Luxembourg Bar.
- Acted as Luxembourg legal counsel for a US listed multinational company for the implementation of its tax inversion transaction with an Ireland based multinational. Faruk advised on the corporate reorganization, issuance of bonds and other corporate finance transactions. The project also involved Cleary Gottlieb New-York, Al Goodbody Ireland and Baker & Mckenzie Luxembourg (for local tax aspects).
- Acted as lead European counsel in respect of the disposal of assets by a US/Swiss group involving the winding up of a corporate structure further to an asset deal worth 1.2 Billion with Concordia Pharmaceuticals. Faruk advised on all company law and legal matters and coordinated Luxembourg and Swiss aspects of the exit transaction.
- Acted as lead Luxembourg corporate and tax counsel for the setting up of a group structure and a significant bonds issuance listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
- Acted as Luxembourg corporate counsel for the international group reorganization of a worldwide hotel chain acquisition of over USD 12 billion value.
- Acted as Luxembourg counsel on the borrower side for the refinancing of a US High Tech group. Faruk notably coordinated Luxembourg and Swiss aspects of the transaction and negotiated financing, security and corporate documents.
- Together with Gunderson US and Loyens Luxembourg (on the tax side), Faruk assisted an international corporate group for a Series A investment round.
- Acted as Luxembourg corporate counsel for the setting up of a JV between a major US listed multinational company and a Russian multinational company and advised both groups on an ongoing basis for the management of their JV.
- Acted as Luxembourg corporate counsel for a US listed multinational company in the implementation of its group reorganization involving multiple jurisdictions. The reorganisation involved the creation of several entities, the restructuring of internal group borrowings and issuance of hybrid instruments.